Hitori | History

In 1897, 101 acres of settled land at Waitaruke was gifted to the Mill Hill Order Brothers to establish a kura and church for the people.
The kura first opened in 1928 and was run by the First Marist Sisters.

Hāhi | Catholic Faith

Local tūpuna had such a strong vision and faith in the Hāhi Katorika, they encouraged whānau to settle in Waitaruke in support of the church and later the kura. People travelled from Taemāro, Waimahana, Taupō Bay, Otangaroa, Waihapa, Pupuke, Kenana,and other outlying areas to attend this Kura.